Only had one class today, in the afternoon, so I took my time cleaning up from the mess I made in the kitchen over the weekend through the morning before heading to school. The golden leaves of the Sycamore tree in the neighbor’s yard floated to the grass with every breeze as I washed my pile of dishes.
We began a Concord Grape wine yesterday, made from 100% juice rather than having to press the grapes ourselves. Just one gallon for the fun of it. While we were out on the motorcycle riding through the foothills of the Blue Mountains we discussed making Elderberry wine; we have a ready supply of wild berries close by. If we have time during the next week or so we might go pick and freeze the berries until we have some space to ferment it, which might still be another month or so. The strawberry is nearly dry, the currant, delayed as it began, is doing well but a bit slower.
Meanwhile at WWCC’s Enology and Viticulture the Syrah fermentation is going great, we are down to 2 degrees Brix, from 25 – so we are nearly dry and ready for Wednesday’s press off of the skins. Just in time for Thursday’s picking of the Merlot grapes for my group’s next red wine; literally need the bin and the room in the cellar! We brought in another sample for testing today. It was much clearer and pinker than our last sample indicating more ripeness. The results of the test will be available in the morning.
When we inoculate our Viognier juice tomorrow afternoon we will have our white wine going too! I will try to get pictures of that process as we make it happen.