Back in December our old house in our previous town was flooded during a particularly cold few days. The piece of copper pipe that split was not large, maybe an inch, but the amount of water that can flow through that hole in a matter of hours is incredible. It was exactly one month later that the clean-up crew wrapped up their gear and left the house, gutted to the studs on the inside with only a few items unscathed. This is a small town, not close to much, and there are limited resources in such a situation. We weren’t the only house to suffer during that weekend – but we seem to have suffered the most damage according to the small town scuttlebutt. Finding a contractor that we wanted to work with was futile – so we worked out an agreement with the contracting company that cleaned-up the damage.
March 11, the first motions to begin restoration began at the house. I am no novice to the foibles of construction, the two months that they quoted us to be done happens to coincide with Mother’s Day – we aren’t done and I expect there is another month before we might be. But the previous two months have been a futile effort at coordination with minimal communication from the contractor and the next month may stretch into two in short order. I am braced for this, but hope we can at least get the house back on the market sometime soon – maybe even this month.
Choosing everything in January before getting seriously into my over-loaded Winter Quarter I am impressed that questions are just coming to us to clarify and reconsider. I apparently gave an item number for a tile I saw to be flat only to find out that the item number was for a bevel edged tile that wouldn’t work at all & was not present at the store when I was making choices (no box to reference either). That has been rectified, no hurry, there is no tile even ordered yet that I can see. We are halfway through Spring Quarter.
To our utter amazement no plumber, not the original guy that came in to repair the copper pipe or anyone else, was brought into the house to pressure test the pipes until Friday, the 9th of May! Ceilings, walls, floors, paint inside and out already in place and we still didn’t know if the plumbing was going to hold up. There has been no threat of freezing pipes in five months. No water, what have they been doing? Seems they have been plaguing our neighbor for water for the last two months! Did I say there was a lack of coordination and communication? The plumber coming back in wasn’t in the original estimate it turns out. We had to insist this take place ASAP once we knew it wasn’t done. Sigh…
The light fixtures that they removed, and now rehung, are still damaged from the filthy standing water that was in them, they aren’t connected to the right light switches and some aren’t connected at all. Apparently there will need to be an electrician brought on board – that wasn’t in the original estimate either. They broke several fixture covers along the way, but that had best be on their dime since they were fine when they were removed.
On the bright side, the choices we made are coming together nicely. The house was listed with the county as a four bedroom, but we had only three legal bedrooms in that huge house. We chose to close off a wall and make a legal fourth bedroom downstairs; I like the way it is coming together. The game room and bar that was originally connected to the new bedroom via a door how has a large wall to hang a large screen television on and have the gang over to watch the game or a movie or whatever. (This is coming from someone who has seen very few movies and no tv in many years.) The monochromatic wall color and coordinated flooring came together very nicely. We had some pretty lively colors in the house before (varying shades of purple in most bedrooms, gold in the living and dining room), the neutrality of the colors and white trim in many places will make our thirty year old house look brand new.
Probably the biggest change though is the outside. When we originally painted the house green we were compromising after a short series of events put our original color choice, gold, off the table. (That is a story unto itself, but it will not be told in this forum.) Since about ten boards of siding had to be replaced we determined the color change was in order since the original situation is no longer an issue. It has gotten good reviews from the few people we bothered to ask how they like it, but I will show you a picture of the outside next post.