Our progress down the street from Terra Vina on 3rd in McMinville included purchasing a package of fresh roasted hazelnuts (cooled and packaged) since we had been passing acres of Filbert trees, including new plantings. Apparently the Willamette Valley produces 99% of the US hazelnuts and about 50% of their crop is exported, click on the previous link and you can read all about it. A quick dinner and we went on to The Bitter Monk Taproom to round out the night’s tastings.
An indoor beer garden with loads of different beers: 16 rotating on tap and many bottles to choose from. We made a selection of eight on tap – two flights – to share. The guy behind the bar was great, the guy beside us was another bartender, there on his off hours because it was THE place to be. We got our flight and a woman walked in, placed her order and waited. She remarked that she was from R. Stuart and had seen us as we got out of the truck (remember the bike in the back – hard not to notice). After chatting we promised we would come back to see her, Casee, the next day; look forward to that post.
Our choices included an IBU, a colorful (amber, brown, red) array and a couple of Belgians along with a Blackberry/Elderberry Cider. All were good, if not great and will be revisited. Such friendly people, it was like being home in Walla Walla!
- Atlas Cider Co. Blackberry/Elderberry Cider: 5.8% ABV
- Oskar Blues G;Knight Imperial Red: 8.7% ABV, 60 IBU, nitro, so very smooth mouth feel, fruity hop nose, great malts with fruit hops underneath from Longmont, CO
- 10 Barrel Cherry Tart: 6% ABV, floral nose, pie cherry palate with no noticeable malts
- 10 Barrel Oregon Brown: 6% ABV, 43 IBU, malt and citrus nose, grapefruit & pine hops with a WOW finish.
- Hopworks Belgian Tripel: 8.7% ABV, 18 IBU, banana with subtle clove flavor
- North Coast Pranquster Golden Ale: 7.6% ABV, 20 IBU, delightful, from Fort Bragg, CA
- Commons Saison: 6.5% ABV, pale and cloudy, sour with a hoppy end – better for a warm evening, from Portland, OR
- Heater Allen Isarweizen: 4.8% ABV, 15 IBU, clove wheat beer, bread and spice! From McMinnville, OR – yet another serendipitous coincidence to be looked for in another post.