Since we missed finding this winery open during the last year, we made a point of going in during Fall Release Weekend. The actual foundry is a couple blocks north on the same road. The austere, industrial-style building that houses the tasting room and the art gallery is in direct contrast to the traditional brick-with-white-trim foundry building; a nice twist on the aesthetic to me.
There is a textile artist, Marie Watt, displaying her blanket series there at the moment. Interesting displays of folded and tapestried blankets to intrigue the eye while the Foundry wines enchant the palate. A home-grown wine maker, Justin Basel (son of Basel Cellars founding family), 90% estate grown fruit from Pheasant Run Vineyard and Stone Marker Vineyard north of the Oregon-Washington state line present two whites and four reds as their current releases.
- 2013 White on White – 37% Chardonnay, 25% Rousanne, 19% Pinot Gris, & 19% Marsanne – crisp, fruity nose and palate with a long, acid-rich finish.
- 2012 Chardonnay – 96% Chardonnay & 4% Maria Gomes – co-fermented, the blend of fruit and acid is excellent! (This wine provided a new grape for our Wine Century Club as well!)
- 2011 Alla Prima – 64% Sangiovese, 24% Syrah, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon – a super Tuscan with good aromas and flavors.
- 2010 Artisan Blend – 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 43% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot – a ‘Left Bank’ (masculine) creation with dark fruits and oaky spice mingled with the sharp tannins.
- 2011 Artisan Blend – 63% Merlot, 37% Petit Verdot – a ‘Right Bank’ (more feminine) wine with lighter fruits and berries, a delicate acidity and nice smooth but complex structure.
- 2011 Syrah – the only single varietal wine available, this lovely Syrah was a fruit-smoothy with a bit of baking spice and mustiness.
This is a 2,000 case winery. The artists showcased bring a diversity to our local art scene and the wines contribute to the interpretation of Washington’s enological offerings, it is good to finally get to visit this particular winery. Thank you Kindall for pouring and explaining the Foundry Vineyards wines.