What do an accountant, a builder and owners of an art gallery have in common? Wine, not just enjoying a glass of wine, but growing grapes, making and sharing that wine; they have Plumb Cellars in downtown Walla Walla and a vineyard, JK Vineyard, south of town in the most scenic wine country around. The J & K represent last initials, a simple but effective name; it is planted to Sangiovese and Viognier. His use of the plumb bob to ensure the vineyard posts were set perfectly straight when JK Vineyard went in prompted the name of the winery.
Gary, the builder, was busy getting the antique door that spent the last several decades walled in with brick ready to admit patrons to the new patio that overlooks the Mill Creek waterway in town, adjacent to the cobbled town square. Working with less than square corners, settled bricks and mortar and discoveries such as the door, in the 1910 building that houses the tasting room didn’t seem to be a problem. Live music on Friday and Saturday nights with wine on the patio seems like a fabulous pairing; we will have to check out an evening event sometime soon.
- 2013 Afternoon Delight – floral and spicy 100% Viognier
- 2012 Sangiovese – 13.7% ABV – 100% estate Sangiovese was released early this month
- 2010 Plumb Crazy – 60% Syrah, 38% Sangiovese, 2% Viognier – 13.7% ABV, is red fruit and warm vanilla
- 2010 Syrah – 13.8% ABV, is smooth fruit and spicy oak
- 2010 Damn Straight – 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot – 13.9% ABV, black cherry, bell pepper and blackberry with a hint of vanilla and spice on the finish
- 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon – 13.9% ABV, big, smokey blackberries with a lovely smooth fruit and spice finish
A fine blend of art and science, of precision and ease, and a welcoming attitude in the tasting room make Plumb Cellars a must visit when you come to Walla Walla.