We have driven by Gramercy Cellars a few times on our way back into Walla Walla but decided to go there when a friend came to visit us. The brick building with the wrap around front porch was somewhat western looking but the name reminded me of Manhattan’s Gramercy Park. Inside, the rough sawn wood entry and the wool rugs with native patterns and antique stools at a very low bar followed the western theme further. The black and white labels with the top of a decorative wrought iron fence on them again reminds me of Manhattan and the park. As a kaleidoscope shifts as you turn it I felt the shift east and west as I looked around before Robbi handed us our first tastes of wine.
Apparently, Greg and Pam Harrington are quite familiar with Gramercy Park and part of their romance involved the park, what better means of preserving a special memory than naming your winery for it. Greg Harrington is a Master Sommelier and is ‘currently Chairman of the Court of Master Sommeliers Americas’. They opened Gramercy Cellars in 2005 and produce about 8,000 cases; a larger boutique winery in Walla Walla.
- 2014 Viognier – 13.2% ABV is fruity and smooth
- 2014 Rose – 50% Cinsault, 25% Grenache, 25% Syrah 13.8% ABV nice citrus and watermelon
- 2012 The Third Man – 57% Grenache, 38% Syrah, 5% Mourvedre 14.7% ABV is rasp- and blackberries with lovely vanilla and spice
- 2012 Syrah – 13.7% ABV is a Rocks-dominated Syrah, with a funky-black pepper and smoke on the nose and violets, berries and mushrooms on the palate
- 2012 ‘The Deuce’ Syrah – 14.1% ABV a bit less smokey, this is a funky, fruity striking Walla Walla Syrah. I would enjoy this after it cellared for a bit as it took a bit to open up in the glass.
- 2012 Lagniappe Syrah – 14.2% ABV is violets, lilac and leather on the nose, velvety with pomegranate and red currant with old leather on the palate
- 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon – 13.9% ABV was too green pepper for me to taste, but my hubby loved it
- 2012 Mourvedre – 14.5% ABV is 82% Mourvedre and 18% Syrah is a meaty, fruit filled and spiced meal in a glass
*Countdown to graduation is 5 days!