March’s rains have filled the rain barrels and brought the party colored bulbs and plants into their beautiful glory. After my tasty salad with pea shoots I planted peas to be sure I had pea shoots and pods. We had sickly trees removed and now the invasive Bermudagrass is being eradicated. This stuff is awful here in Walla Walla, it sends out underground (up to six foot down) runners and pops up everywhere. Spring has sprung and I am hardly able to be home enough to weed the flower beds! I thought when I graduated last June I would have more time to work in the garden during March and April, but that hasn’t happened and isn’t likely to happen any time soon.
Some April Walla Walla Events:
- Cayuse Weekend is April 1-3, the local industry-recognized beginning of the ‘busy season’; potentially a decently busy weekend in the tasting room.
- Walla Walla Food Truck Night on the 4th begins six months of pre-planned meeting friends and eating out.
- Walla Walla Feast and Guitar Festival (April 8-10) downtown – lots of fabulous music along with terrific wine, beer and food. Locati Cellars is Co-Sponsoring this super fun weekend, again, hoping for lots of activity in the tasting room.
- Bottling Locati Cellars white, rose’ and Dolcetto wines the following week – along with all that comes before hand to prepare for bottling.
- Spring Wine Club for Locati Cellars has to be pulled together and shipped.
There will be moments to steal for weeding and planting. We are looking forward to al fresco meals and visits with friends now that our weather is warming. Cheers!